Mcebisi Jonas Biography, Age, Family, Wife, Contacts, Statement, GUPTA, News
Mcebisi Jonas Biography
Mcebisi Jonas Bio
Mcebisi Jonas (Mcebisi Hubert Jonas) is a South African politician born in 1960 in Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. He is a former Deputy Finance Minister of the Government of South Africa (2014 to 2016).
|Mcebisi Jonas Age||58 years (as of 2018; born in 1960)|
|Mcebisi Jonas Qualification/ Education||He matricualted at Newewell High School in Port Elizabeth, has a Bachelor of Arts in History & Sociology from Vista University, Higher Diploma in Education at Rhodes University.|
|Mcebisi Jonas Wife||Matshepo Jonas|
|Mcebisi Jonas Contacts||Tel: 072 415 4072 /012 315 5559
Fax: 012 323 3262
Mcebisi Jonas Political Career
At the age of 14 Mcebisi became active in politics and led political activitiesin the Port Elizabeth area and started underground structures in the EasternCape and beyond.In the early 1980s he was an organiser of Azanian StudentsOrganisation (AZASO).
He played an important role in the founding of the United Democratic Front (UDF) structures in the Eastern Cape. He was sent into exile to finish military training in Angola and Uganda for the People’s Army, Umkhonto Wesizwe (MK). While in exile he was hired by the United Nations to run an education program for the Mkhonto Wesizwe (MK) cadres.
He returned from exile in the 1990s and played a crucial role in creating the
structures of the ANC and the SACP in the Eastern Cape. In 1994 he became the
Provincial administrator in the Eatern Cape.
He served as a member of the Eastern Cape ANC Provincial Executive Committee
for two terms (1997-2004 and 2007-2009).
Mcebisi Jonas Career Highlights
- 2009 – 2014: Member of the Executive Council (EXCO responsible for Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism
- 2009 – 2010: Member of the Executive Council (EXCO) responsible for Finance
- 2007 – 2009: Chair of the Portfolio Committee for Human Settlement (EC
- 2000 – 2005: Chief Executive Officer: Eastern Cape Development Corporation
- 1999 – 2000: Chief Executive Officer: Centre for the Investment Marketing of
the Eastern Cape (CIMEC)
- 1997 – 1999: Chief Executive Officer: Eastern Cape Socio-Economic Consultative Council
- Regional Director: SACHED.
- General Manager: AFESIS Corplan (PTY) Ltd
Mcebisi Jonas Statement
On 24th August 2018 Jonas addresses the commission of inquiry into state
capture. He claimed that Gupta family offered him an initial R600 000 cash, and then R600m to be given later if he accepted the job of finance minister. Jonas said that he met with former president Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane, businessman Fana Hlongwane and the eldest of the Gupta brothers, Ajay.